Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Mau (formerly Mau Nath Bhanjan), hardly 90 km fromVaranasi. Mau is the powerhouse of textile weavers in Eastern UP, India. This small industrial town on the banks of Ghaghra(Saryu). The Tamasa River flows through the city. The credit of converting this city to a district goes to the (late) Kalpnath Rai (former MP of Ghosi constituency). In 1960’s it was the biggest supplier of a plant called plash.
The official website of this city is http://www.mau.nic.in
Uttar Pradesh • India
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
• Sex ratio
• 947 (as of 1991)
• UP 54-
Etymology of the Name
Many myths are popular regarding history of Mau district. In common opinion, the name Mau is considered to be derived from a Turkish word meaning "barrack" (Hindi: garh, padav, chavani).
District MAU has a very rich historical background from protohistorical period. A little description is given in the historical book of Jiyaudeen Barni that Akbar the Great passed through Mau, in its way towards Allahabad.
During his reign Sher Shah Suri, the famous emperor who had defeated Mughals, visited Kolhuvavan (Madhuban) to meet the great Sufi saint Syed Ahmad Wadva. Mahvani, one of the daughters of Sher Shah was settled permanently near the dargah of Syed Sahab . Various developmental works were undertaken by Sher Shah during his reign for economic development of the Mau region. Still there is some reminiscent
During the construction of Military Base & Shahi Masque, a large number of labourers & artisans came with Mughal Army. The labour force includes a large number of Artisans , Weavers etc. Who originally belongs to Iran, Afghanistan & Turki. They settled there permanently.
During the period of Freedom Struggle the residents of Mau had given their full support to the movement. Mahatma Gandhi came here in Doharighat on 3rd October 1939. In salt law breaking movement many persons of Mau had actively taken part.
During the 1942 Quit India Movement the mob was collected against the outrage of Madhuban Police Station Officer ; Collector Navlate was present there, he ordered to fire on the mob. Many persons were killed & injured on spot. In memory of shaheed of above said event a monument was built on the same place in Madhuban.
Mau was an important township of Azamgarh district before its creation .On 19th Nov. 1988 it was made district, largely due to the effort of Late Kalpnath Rai , who was M. P. from Ghosi Parliamentary seat.
The local language of Mau is peculiar in its flavour , it includes the slang of Bhojpuri Persian, Turkish & Irani. The main Industrial setup here is of cloth making by powerloom due to the presence of a large number of weavers in the district. Sari, Lungi and other clothes being prepared here nowadays and are exported to various states of India and also to various countries.
Geography and climate
Mau is situated on the fertile plains of the Ganga - Ghaghara doab. It lies between 83° 17’ to 84° 52' East & 24° 47' to 26°17' North. In its north Ghaghara river is on the border, Ghazipur district is on the south, Ballia district is in east & Azamgarh district is in the west side. This district represents geographical characteristics of mid Gangetic plain. "Khachari" and "Khadar" are types of soil found in the areas of north of Azamgarh - Ballia Road. In some high places "Bangar" soil is also found. In the southern part of the district, river flow is absent, due to which that area has Bangar type of soil, which is not fertile. The flow system of district is dominated by "Tons" and its helping river "Choti Sarju". The Ghaghara river forms northern border of district. The main means of irrigation in the district is tubewells. Ponds are used mainly for fishing and bird sanctuary purposes. In Mau "Pakari Piua" pond have 1.7 km breadth and 32 km length.It also have two big ponds(Tal)one Ratoy tal near Madhuban and Garha tal near Ratanpura. Ground water can be obtained from 15 to 20 meter depth. Ground water is used for drinking purposes. Farmers use tubewell for haritage purposes.
- 1981 to 1991 Census the Population of the district is 1,445,000
- The decennial rate of population growth during period 1981-91 is 28.33%.
- Human sex ratio in 1991 is 974.
- 19.9% of District population resides in Urban area.
- According to 1991 census sc/st population is 319,000 which is 22% of total population.
- Population density of the district is 844/km²
- In 1997-98 total foodgrain production is 372,000 tonnes
- Net irrigated area is 1,120 km² & gross irrigated area is 1,530 km²
- Percentage of electrified villages is 88.1% in the year 1997-98.
- Per capita electricity consumption is 162 units in the year 1998-99.
- In 1998 -99 total number of rural & small industrial units are 61526.
- Total number of Handloom/Powerloom units are 58381 in 1998-99.
- Percentage of Literacy in the district is approx. 68% in 2006.
- Percentage of Workers in the district, according to 1991 census, is 33.2%.
- Number of dependents per hundred workers is 201.
- According to 1991 census, 68.3% of total workers were directly involved in agriculture.
- In 1996-97 per cultivator net sown area was 6,500 square metres
- CD ratio in 98-99 is 11.96.
- Length of metalled road per 100,000 population is 57 km.
- In 1998-99 teacher-Students ratio is
- Junior High School 44
- Senior Basic School 45.6
- Higher Secondary School 46.1
- Degree College 135.7
- No. of Allopathic Hospitals/Dispensary/PHC's per 100,000 population is 3.7
- Telephone connection per 100,000 population 275
LanguageUrdu is widely spoken here.However Mauwalli, a regional dialect is also spoken here, mostly by Muslims, and Bhojpuri in village areas.
Notable PersonalitiesMaulana Habibur-rahman Azmi a well known Islamic Scholar belongs to this city.His books are taught in famous universities like Madina university.
The famous Hindi poet Shyam Narayan Pandey was from the village Dumroun.Kalpanath Rai was from village Semari,considered hero of mau. Famous urdu shayar Faiz ibn faizi belongs to mau.
Famous Play Back Singer Vidhaan Pandey belongs to mau.
Parliamentary constituency :: Ghosi: MP :Dara Singh Chauhan
State Assembly consitituency:: Mau : MLA :Mukhtar Ansari
State Assembly consitituency:: Ghosi : MLA :Fagu Chauhan
State Assembly consitituency:: Nathupur : MLA :Umesh Pandey
i'll try to aadd more....